Wednesday, 5 December 2007
Shackleton's Students
Hello Antarctic explorers! U4Y have started to learn about Antarctica and so are keen to chart your adventure. We hope that the Southern Ocean is not too fierce for you Miss Mulvey! As you approach land we would like to know what the weather is like and what you can see. What does the area sound like and have you made friends with the local resident penguins yet?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear Upper 4,
I am writing this from the Falklands and you may be surprised to know that my mobile phone got a signal in Ushaia, S. Argentina and here in the Falkland Islands too but T Mobile is stumped when it comes to Arran and the Yorkshire Dales!! The scenery is just breathtaking. It's very familiar in one sense as you can imagine Scotland without settlers for the past few thousand years would look much the same. But it has a ruggedness and savageness that is quite bewitching! Glaciation extraordinaire!! The weather hasnt been too bad. Bit like a bracing day on the hills at home and we had a good Scotch mist yesterday as we watched the penguins on Carcass island. And the penguins are just gorgeous. I didnt know it was possible to take so many pictures of them. I've already taken 150 pictures and I would imagine that 80% of them will be of penguins! Lots of ooh and aah moments! I'm cloud spotting when I'm not too sea sick... We have been told to secure all our belongings for the crossing to South Georgia this evening.. This is rather ominous as I regularly bump up and down my bed so it should be a voyage to remember!! The students are in fine fettle and have video-ed their very own Titanic sequence. However, it ends happily with all participants reaching South Georgia with a big cheesy grin.
Best wishes!
Post a Comment