Hi everyone - Here I am in the Southern Ocean with all these seals and penguins. They are the oddest bunch.
We go ashore in big rubber tube like boats called Zodiacs and I love it as we bounce our way over the waves to shore. It's not so much fun when we get back to the ship, if there is what they call a "swell" as the zodiac moves several feet up and down and the gangway to the ship is doing the same, so it's difficult for a small bear to know when to jump. Luckily I made it!
Today I went for a walk in South Georgia at Cooper Bay. It was scary at first because the beach was full of those nasty smelly fur seals which like to chase me, but the expedition team cleared a path for me and my friends so that we could dash across the beach and up the hill. Funny hills here - they are very high and there's lots of snow and ice which comes all the way down to the sea. This hillside was covered in tussock grass and I couldn't see over it so I was really surprised when I bumped into a penguin with a very peculiar hairstyle - yellow bits hanging down either side of his head and very untidy. He also made a loud squawking noise when he saw me, so I thnk he was as surprised as I was. It was quite warm and he shuffled back - that's when I realised that it maybe wasn't a he at all as there was an egg on his feet. Maybe it was a she!
It was quite warm and sunny so it was odd looking out to sea and big white mountains sticking out - they're called icebergs and apparently, although they look huge already, 90% of them is below the sea - I hope our ship finds its way round them.
In the afternoon we didn't get off the ship but sailed up the Drygalski Fjord. It was amazing as there were glaciers on each side and at the end, and from one of the mountains there was a waterfall which was being blown uphill - very strange!
The girls and Mrs Mackie are looking after me well and if I don't get seasick, I'm going to be allowed to watch Happy Feet tonight. First I have to put all my belongings in a safe place so that they don't fly round the cabin as we're heading for open sea and the ship (and this little bear) is going to be tossed about a bit.
Love to all my friends at school. I'm missing you but having such an adventure.
George
Thursday, 13 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment